We all know those big eyes and drooling mouths when we try to eat a lovely cold ice cream in front of our beloved pooches on a sunny day.
But human ice cream isn’t really the best cool treat to give your dog. But worry not, there are many very simple and quick ice cream and iced treat recipes available. This way you can treat your dog with something healthy and delicious – and still get to eat your own ice cream!
Here are a few of our favourites – give them a go!
Strawberry Ice Cream
1 small tub of fresh strawberries
3 or 4 cups of low/non-fat, plain yogurt
- Mash the strawberries using a potato masher
- Mix strawberry mash with yogurt and then freeze overnight
Peanut & Banana Iced Treats
3-4 ripe bananas
32 ounces plain yogurt (ideally low fat)
1 cup peanut butter (organic if you have it – and one that doesn’t contain artificial sweetener)
- Toss the bananas, peanut butter and yogurt into a blender and blend until it’s mixed
- Next, pour the mixture into ice trays
- You’ll need about five or six ice trays for this amount. If you don’t have that many available, just pour some of the mixture into a plastic zippered bag and toss it in the freezer to break up when you’re ready to serve.
- Pop the trays in the freezer and in a few hours your doggie ice cream is ready to serve!
Banana Blueberry Ice Cream
2 frozen bananas
1/2 cup of blueberries
(Makes: 10 small scoops)
For a creamy ice cream, use brown spotted bananas.
- Optional: cut the bananas into small pieces before freezing
- Freeze the bananas and blueberries for 2-3 hours or overnight
- Place the bananas and blueberries in a blender or food processor until they turn into a smooth and creamy puree
- You can serve it immediately as a soft creamy ice cream. If you prefer a firmer consistency, freeze it for an hour then serve
2 tbs of organic peanut butter (without artificial sweetener)
2 tbs of honey
2 tbs of pumpkin
24 oz of fat free yogurt
1 tsp of cinnamon
- Mash the bananas in a bowl
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and stir well
- Pour the mixture into your container of choice and place in the freezer until the mixture has frozen